Paul J Stevens wrote:
 >> insert msg set id=xxx, body="first 512 bytes of msg goes here...";
 >> update msg set body=body+"another 512 bytes..." where id=xxx;
 >> update msg set body=body+"yet another 512bytes" where id=xxx;

this will create massive amounts of insert queries if you're indeed receiving a lot of large attachments. This will either pound your disk IO during insertions, or if your using transactions, you're simply shifting the memory consumption to the database server.

As far as I know every modern database writes out dirty pages. Otherwise long transactions (someone does using an SQL editor p.e.) could easily block the database.
IMHO pages only get a FIX as long as one (SQL) query runs.

Thomas
--
http://www.tmueller.com for pgp key (95702B3B)