mc wrote:

Another question: would it be feasible to implement some sort of db connection pooling?

That question keeps coming up every now and then. And with good reason because our current model doesn't scale very well for large amounts of idle imap clients.

There a package called pgpool which seems to do the trick for postgresql only.

It would be pretty cool if we could do this ourselves though. Shouldn't be too hard :-)... All the jdbc drivers seem to support this trick. But I don't see any C based models to study other than pgpool and sqlrelay. And those are both using proxy processes, rather than shared memory ipc.

Perhaps a simpler approach would be to timeout database connections for idle imap clients, reestablishing them when needed. Im not sure that would be acceptable though from a performance point of view.

  Paul Stevens                                  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
  NET FACILITIES GROUP                     PGP: finger [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  The Netherlands________________________________http://www.nfg.nl