The problem with having a whole configuration file in the repo is that
the file probably contains many other settings besides the ones we
need, and it changes with each MySQL version. When we use command line
parameters, we don't have to change any MySQL config files, we just
add the three or four settings that we need, and they don't change
between MySQL versions.

Maybe there is a way to tell MySQL, "here's an addtional config file
whose settings should override the ones in the main config file". Then
we could check in a minimal config file with just our settings. But
taking a large config file from a MySQL installation, changing a few
lines and then putting the modified version into the repo leads to
more problems than it solves.

We have the same problem with MediaWiki: we once took
LocalSettings.php and ApiParse.php from a MediaWiki installation,
modified a few lines and put the whole files into our repo. But in
newer versions, the files look quite different, and the versions from
our repo just don't work. Users have to edit the files and add the
stuff needed for the abstract extractor.

Cheers,
JC