death penalty news

June 7, 2004


INDIA:

India's new government to introduce law to protect religious minorities

India's left-leaning government said on Monday it planned to introduce a 
new law aimed at protecting religious minorities from outbreaks of violence.

President Abdul Kalam said in an address to parliament the government was 
determined to fight the sort of religious strife seen in Hindu-nationalist 
dominated Gujarat two years ago where 2,000 people died in riots.

"The government will adopt all such possible measures to promote and 
maintain communal peace and harmony so that minorities feel completely 
secure," said Kalam, reading the speech written by the cabinet.

"My government will enact a model law to deal with communal violence and 
encourage states to adopt it," Kalam said without giving details of the 
proposed legislation.

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, a Sikh who is India's first premier from a 
religious minority, heads a communist-backed coalition that ousted a Hindu 
nationalist-led government in April-May elections.

The election showed voters' "rejection of the forces of divisiveness and 
intolerance," Kalam said.

Repeal POTA

The speech also confirmed the new government would scrap the Prevention of 
Terrorism Act which the Hindu nationalists pushed into law in the wake of 
the September 11, 2001 attacks due to the law's "misuse."

The act expanded the use of the death penalty and allows authorities to 
detain terrorist suspects for three months without charges.

"The government is of the view that existing laws could adequately handle 
the menace of terrorism," Kalam said.

He said the government would encourage an "amicable settlement" over 
India's most protracted religious dispute in Ayodhya, where Hindu zealots 
in 1992 tore down a mosque they said stood on the birthplace of the god Ram.

The riots in Gujarat broke out when a train of activists campaigning to 
build a temple over the mosque ruins in Ayodhya was torched by an allegedly 
Muslim mob, killing 59 people.

(source: AFP / The Khaleej Times)



==============================

PHILIPPINES:

Kidnapping down to all-time low in Philippines: Arroyo

President Gloria Arroyo said on Monday kidnapping for ransom had fallen to 
an all-time low in the Philippines after an intensified crackdown launched 
last year, when officials said it was at a 10-year high.

Arroyo said an anti-kidnapping task force headed by former armed forces 
chief Angelo Reyes and set up seven months ago had effectively neutralized 
nearly all of the country's top crime gangs.

"Kidnapping today is at an all time-low," Arroyo said. "For almost three 
months now, there has been zero kidnapping and I congratulate everyone 
involved."

Arroyo was apparently referring to kidnapping by criminal gangs, as 
suspected Muslim militants are holding three telecom workers snatched this 
month and a group of Malaysians and Indonesians taken in April.

The president said the task force had killed or arrested a number of 
high-profile kidnappers, including gang leader Roberto Yap who was killed 
shortly after Reyes' force was activated.

Yap, a licensed physician, had led a kidnap gang that preyed on his fellow 
Chinese-Filipinos, mostly wealthy businessmen and members of their families.

Arroyo on Monday met with two civilians who tipped off the authorities 
about Yap's whereabouts, and gave them some 26,880 dollars in reward money.

In December she was forced by public pressure to lift a four-year 
moratorium on the death penalty in a bid to stem the rising tide of 
kidnappings.

Officials had said that kidnapping reached a 10-year high in 2003, with at 
least one victim every three days.

Among those kidnapped last year was Coca-Cola executive Betti Sy, a 
32-year-old Chinese-Filipino whose body was later found stuffed in a trash 
can on a Manila roadside.

Sy's death caused a public uproar and dampened investor confidence by 
fuelling a rising perception of lawlessness. This prompted the government 
to crack down on crime.

Troops have also been pursuing Muslim Abu Sayyaf kidnappers, who have been 
linked by Manila and Washington to Al-Qaeda, in the southern Philippines.

(source: AFP / The Khaleej Times)

Reply via email to