Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> > > Current SPI setting allows for that, while current FFIS setting
> > > (i.e. the split) does not.  Obviously, I hope something like the above
> > > will *never* happen, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be worried about
> > > similar scenarios.
> > Sorry, but... Why didn't you just ask?  The same is possible here as
> > well - as I've outlined several days ago as well.
>
> Same reason as above: it shouldn't be me asking for that.

That's rediculous.  If you would like to have access and view, you
should ask.  We cannot process your request unless the Debconf people
agree, though, howver putting them in Cc will give them a chance to
agree and disagree.  Two of them have agreed already if I remember
correctly.

> > So, is this all?  Then all Debconf people need to do is
> >  (a) decide that leader@ and auditor@ should be able to view Debconf
> >      money as well - AND -
> >  (b) authorise leader@ for payments.
>
> That would solve the problems outlined in this thread, but it would
> still be worse than the merge, for a very simple reason: either me or
> the auditors, to know the actual total amount of reserves would need to
> check two accounts instead of one. It's clearly doable, but it's also
> clearly less handy than the merge situation.

Nope.

Maybe it's easier to write this as relation like in databases:

    account/login  1 ---- n  earmarks for money

The auditors account is totally separate from your account.  Both can
view some projects.  They can be the same, but the could be different,
they could also be several of which some are shared.

> Additionally, keeping the separation will further the feeling in the
> community that DebConf and Debian are two separate entities, while they

That's up to you.  You don't need to tell the community that you're
tracking money separately.

You also don't need to try to get an even sum after each Debconf,
however you wrote earlier that you would like this.  Seems you are
separating money already.

> All in all, I observe we're now re-discussing things from
> scratch---starting from Richard's mail---while at the beginning of this
> thread it seemed to me we agreed in going ahead with the merge.

I'm sorry.  I hope that I don't add more confusion.  I'm only trying
to help and offer possibilities and answer questions if somebody asks.
Additionally, it occurs to me that you're discussing things that can
be solved much easier than you think - or I'm unable to parse some of
the mails.

Regards,

        Joey

--
The MS-DOS filesystem is nice for removable media.  -- H. Peter Anvin