Hi!

Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 06:28:38PM +0100, Martin Schulze wrote:
> > To me this sounds more like it would would be helpful for you all if
> > the money would continue to be earmarked differently in the future but
> > that the Debian project leader and accountant should get a view to
> > that money as well.
>
> AFAIK, this is what is already happening on the other side of the ocean
> (i.e. at SPI): money are all together, with specific DebConf earmark. I
> presume DebConf people could know the earmark by asking the SPI
> treasurer.  The "anomaly" of the present situation at FFIS is to have 2
> separate accounts, instead of the earmarking.

No.  We do have earmarkings, otherwise you won't be able to see
anything.  It's just that the leader account is limited to Debian and
Holger's account is limited to Debconf.

Maybe all you want to have is that the Debian project leader and
accountant should get a view to that money as well.

I already wrote that it's no problem to enrich the leader account with
Debconf information.

> Note that the problem of two separate accounts is not only of visibility
> (although that is the most pressing one). The other problem is that I
> still consider that in case of some emergency---say $n servers failing
> tomorrow at the same time---Debian should be able to use DebConf money
> to buy back those servers, without having to wait for the authorization
> of the liaisons people for the DebConf account (which are not the same
> liaisons people for the Debian account).

That's a political question you (DPL and Debconf orga) need to solve,
nothing that can be solved technically.

> Current SPI setting allows for that, while current FFIS setting
> (i.e. the split) does not.  Obviously, I hope something like the above
> will *never* happen, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be worried about
> similar scenarios.

Sorry, but... Why didn't you just ask?  The same is possible here as
well - as I've outlined several days ago as well.

So, is this all?  Then all Debconf people need to do is

 (a) decide that leader@ and auditor@ should be able to view Debconf
     money as well - AND -

 (b) authorise leader@ for payments.

Signed mails are welcome.

Regards,

        Joey

--
The MS-DOS filesystem is nice for removable media.  -- H. Peter Anvin