On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 10:06:20PM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> > > ltdl needs them at runtime.
> >
> > Then ltdl is broken. How does one install libfoo.so.1 and libfoo.so.2
> > and only have libfoo.la, and ltdl expect to work?
>
> I was always under the impression that ltdl only really needed the .la
> files on defective OS's, not on linux..

It also needs them if:

a) the application makes an lt_dlopen() call explicitly on the .la
file (this should be replaced by lt_dlopenext(), but watch out for
#157230)

b) the .so is not in the same directory as the .la

Both of these issues can and should be corrected.

c) dlpreopen and related features have been used and libtool was
instructed to link statically.

I can't think of any sane reason why you would do that on Debian.

(Other reasons? I can't think of any)

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ | Dept. of Computing,
 `. `'                          | Imperial College,
   `-             -><-          | London, UK