On 2013-05-20 Norbert Preining <prein...@logic.at> wrote:
> Including the maintainer of libtiff*

> On Mo, 20 Mai 2013, Norbert Preining wrote:
>> when trying to build a new release of telxive-bin fixing a nasty bug
>> alas, I cannot build anymore:
>> The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>>  libtiff4-dev : Conflicts: libtiff5-dev but 4.0.2-6 is to be installed.
>>  libtiff5-dev : Conflicts: libtiff4-dev but 3.9.6-11 is to be installed.
>> Unable to resolve dependencies!  Giving up...

>> The build deps that I have are:
>>      libgd2-xpm-dev | libgd2-noxpm-dev       => libtiff5-dev
>>      libgs-dev       => libtiff4-dev
>> How should this work out?
[...]

Hello,
Running in a pretty clean sid chroot I get this explantion:
----------
(SID)root@argenau:/# apt-get build-dep texlive-bin
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'libpng12-dev' instead of 'libpng-dev'
 libgs-dev : Depends: libcupsimage2-dev but it is not going to be installed
             Depends: libtiff4-dev but it is not going to be installed
E: Build-dependencies for texlive-bin could not be satisfied.
----------

Ok, lets install the fishy packages:
----------
(SID)root@argenau:/# apt-get install  libgs-dev  libtiff4-dev
----------
[...]
And after that try again:
----------
(SID)root@argenau:/# apt-get build-dep texlive-bin
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libcupsimage2-dev libgs-dev libtiff4-dev
  libgd-dev libgd2-xpm-dev libtiff5-dev
[...]
----------
Rinse and repeat:
----------
(SID)root@argenau:/# apt-get build-dep texlive-bin
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libgd-dev libgd2-xpm-dev libtiff5-dev
  libcupsimage2-dev libgs-dev libtiff4-dev
[...]

It is pretty clear now, texlive-bin build-depends on both libgd-dev
and libgs-dev. The former in turn depends on libtiff5-dev, the latter
on libtiff4-dev. The two libtiff-dev variants conflict with each
other.

I think the proper fix for the time being (until a proper transition
to tiff5 is started) is to ask the libgd-dev maintainer to switch back
to libtiff4-dev.

cu Andreas

so grateful to you.'