On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 10:55:32PM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:

> On 02/18/2014 10:15 PM, Ondřej Surý wrote:
[...]
> > If we have working OpenRC on kFreeBSD and GNU Hurd, can I do:
> >
> > Depends: systemd | openrc
> >
> > if I want to get rid of non-declarative init scripts in my daemon
> > packages?
[...]
> Once I consider OpenRC ready for it, would it be ok to just replace
> sysv-rc by OpenRC, and transform sysv-rc into a transitional package?
> What is the opinion of other DDs? Is there anyone which would like to
> keep the old featureless sysv-rc?

My opinion is that maintainers should still provide sysv init scripts until it
is decided that Debian does not support sysvinit any more. The TC decided that
systemd will be the default init system on Linux, not that it would be the only
init system.

Dropping support for sysv init scripts now means that you are burning the
bridge before you finished crossing it.

      Guus Sliepen <g...@debian.org>