On Sun, Oct 11, 1998 at 03:28:27PM -0700, Chris Waters wrote:

> 'Bout what I figured, but wouldn't it be possible to produce two
> versions which conflict?  Not a perfect solution, but it would make it
> possible for people like me who want to work on gnome-related gtk--
> stuff to do so.  The conflicts could be cleaned up when someone had the
> time to hack on it (presumably post-slink).

I'm working on it. But even if I get it to compile with Debian sources, we
still would need another soname for this.

> Just a thought -- I'm about to try building my own personal gnome-gtkmm
> package (which will conflict with gtkmm), but I don't yet have any
> experience at packaging libraries, so I'm a little scared.  I doubt if
> I'll be able to finish in time for the freeze.

If you just want to use latest sources and don't care about gtkmm in Debian,
just install the gtkmm source package, install latest gtk 1.1 and gnome and
run

dpkg-buildpackage -B -us -uc

in the source directory. This should compile you gtkmm packages with gnome
support. But you also need to edit the debian/control and remove the
dependency on libgtk-dev if you don't want to use source depends.
Note that this completely messes up binaries that are linked to gtkmm,
because the soname doesn't differ. But maybe you don't care :)

I haven't tried this, but it should work. I'm planning to make Tero to
include debian package scripts to CVS, so developers can easily build their
own version from latest CVS (I could easily d/l and package CVS, too, but I
could never use gtk+/gnome CVS officially because there are no Debian packages
for them).

Marcus

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                        for public  PGP Key