Hi Andreas

On Wed, 24 Feb 2021 at 13:40, Andreas Tille <andr...@an3as.eu> wrote:

> > In any case, you can enable salsa CI on your personal fork to track this.
>
> Hmmm, I think we should not propagate personal forks.  I'm afraid that
> some fork might feature interesting commits but will be lost somewhere.
> So I'd prefer to have salsa CI activated on the main med-team
> repository.

Sure. And this reminds me again of the proposal to talk to salsa admins to
enable it by default - after some brainstorming for choosing a default
salsa-ci.yml ofcourse.
This will:

a) Directly help mitigate these problems to track such issues
b) Improve overall quality of packages
c) Help _sometimes_ to rely on CI if the build is very time+resource
consuming

We are currently manually enabling CI on several repos, and if we do it
several number of times, we might end up breaking salsa ourselves --
thoughts?

> > I'm not sure  what "couldn't push my changes because it is on a protected
> > branch" means here. You should be able to push unless you aren't trying
> > force-push.
>
> I observed from time to time that master branch is marked "protected"
> and I have no explanation at all and this is extremely annoying since it
> might scare away newcomers.

Protecting the master branch is an ideal thing to do since this doesn't
allow force pushing -- if it wasn't protected, it'd be easy for a new comer
who's not very well versed
with git to mistakenly mess things up.

>  My "cure" is to simply set those people who
> are affected to "Maintainer" status (which seems to enable also pushing
> to protected branches).

This is some mystery which I've not known the answer to. I remember not
being able to push stuff to science + nim team w/o "maintainer" access bump

>  May be we should simply run a script to unprotect
> all master branches ... and find out why this might happen at all.

That can have repercussions (see the reply above) -- I'd recommend not
doing that

> > If you aren't force-pushing, then you need better access than developer
> > probably for this one. I just granted you maintainer access for this
> repo,
> > try pushing once.
>
> I've set general maintainer access.  I think if we want to enable people
> to create new repositories all should get this status.  I fail to see any
> sense in different levels of membership.

Probably the rationale is that someone set as "maintainer" can change
protected branch settings + CI vars et. al -- this can end up causing
potential damage if accidentally a spammer gets such an access.
But I suppose we assume good intent most of the times, and it should
generally be safe. (It's quite OK in Shruti's case, definitely)

Ofcourse, apologies if I said something wrong here :-)

Nilesh