    >> still compiling after *7 hours*!!!!! And... it died with

    Philippe> How much memory do hou have ?  7 hours seems quite long,
    Philippe> even without cache...

You'd be surprised what turning off cache can do to your computer.
For instance my PPro200 took 10minutes to boot when I turned off cache
(and I didn't even get to see X start up properly, since I managed to
switch over to the console to shut the beast down).  I have a feeling
that turning cache off hurts performance significantly more than not
having it in the first place, not sure why.  On the other had, PPro
on-chip cache might be a whole different beast than a "normal" L2
cache.

Gleb