On Fri, 13 Dec 1996, Scott Barker wrote:

> I updated from debian 1.1.17 (the latest, I believe). I experienced the
> following problems:
>
> 1) perl installation failed. It pre-depends on libdl1, which is provided by
> ldso, but dselect complained that it couldn't resolve the pre-dependancy. I
> installed ldso by hand using dpkg, then re-ran dselect and the problem was
> fixed.
>
> 2) somewhere along the line, /bin/perl got deleted, and I got an error out of
> one of the preinst scripts. Somewhere further along the line, /bin/perl got
> put back. Unfortunately, I didn't catch which packages were involved.
>
> 3) gcc depends on cpp (different from Debian 1.1). However, when dselect
> installed cpp, it removed gcc, and I had to re-tag gcc for installtion (a
> second installation run fixed the problem).
>
> 4) there are two copies of xbase (1.1 and 1a). This didn't cause a problem, it
> just wasted time.
>
> 5) sendmail doesn't work. I had to reinstall the binaries from 8.7.6-1.. The
> problem was that sendmail could parse the .cf file properly (complaining about
> the 'dequote' map -- saying file doesn't exist).
>
> 6) libg++ and libg++-dev conflicted with each other for some reason.
> Re-running the installtion from dselect cleared up the problem.
>

> Aside from the above problems (which I easily solved, but which a less
> experienced user may have had trouble with), the upgrade went very well, and
> I'm now a happy debian-1.2 user.
>
> --
> Scott Barker

Scott,
        I also had the exact same problems #1, 3 and 5. How odd...

        Making adjustments by hand also cleared things up. In some
instances I needed to reinstall old 1.1 things from the CD to get back in
business.  For example, the new dpkg-ftp was fried during the install
process because something depended on gcc (??) which had been nuked by
cpp. (dpkg made a real bad choice here, IMHO.) It also depended on netlib
and io, which conflicted with ...

Jim

PS I'm also very happy with Debian 1.2! Many things are fixed/faster.