On Thu, 27 Feb 1997, Craig Sanders wrote:

> So start by learning what you need to know to have a "nicer setup". If
> you dont have the time to trace through all the documentation to find
> out exactly what needs to be done, then at least skim the docs to get an
> overview of how it works and ask specific "how do I...." questions on
> debian-user.
>
> not only will it be more satisfying to have done it by yourself (with or
> without help from the mailing lists), but you'll also learn a lot faster
> as you will have the positive reinforcement of seeing the changes you
> make actually have an affect on the system. You WON'T get that if it's
> all spoon-fed to you.

 I personally think that this is very wrong.

 The classic `UNIX is for real men, so read all the F. man's, and howtos,
etc'.

 I think that we should try to aim at the normal desktop user, not only
the developers. Not only can the developers always changes whatever cames
preconfigured, but it's also more instructive to have a good example.  (I
can learn more about customizing prompts with a `PS1=".....\\$"' than from
a `' =) ). With good defaults, one can often adapt and reconfigure just
without even looking the manpages.

 Don't think only at the developer. Think at one poor guy that works in an
ISP with Linux, he doesn't programm in C, he don't like to read manuals.
He's never touched an X resource. And he will never change its RedHat
system... guess why...

Nicolás Lichtmaier.-
[EMAIL PROTECTED]