On Wed, 21 May 1997, Francois Gouget wrote:

> > Yep, I have the same situation, and name resolution works fine. The
> > only things I've found that don't work are ftp (dir listings only,
> > file gets by wget and netscape work fine (which I don't understand))
> > and ping.
>
> This must be related to masquerading (i.e. not diald). For ftp to work
> you must load a specific module: ip_masq_ftp. I think this module
> also does the icmp masquerading (for ping). This is because ftp sends
> a port number and has the server "call you back" at that port. There
> are other specific modules for some other protocols. The modules
> that I have are: ip_masq_raudio, ip_masq_vdolive, ip_masq_cuseeme,
> ip_masq_irc.

Yes, that is correct.

These extra masquerading modules were only included in the standard
linux kernel since version 2.0.30 (or was it 2.0.29?).

Before then, you had to download the masquerading patches (go to
http://www.linuxhq.com for all your official and unofficial kernel
patches - if you want to know about the kernel, this is one of the best
sites around), patch the kernel and recompile.

What this means is that unless debian's kernel package maintainer (Herbert
Xu) applied the bumper masquerading patches before compiling, then people
with kernel 2.0.27 will need to recompile their kernel to get masquerading
support for irc, ftp, real audio, ping, etc...

alternatively, they can download kernel-image-2.0.30 from frozen or
unstable. Personally, I think it is much better to install kernel-source
and make-kpkg and compile your own custom kernel that suits your system.
The debian pre-compiled kernels are useful, but should really only be
used to install a system.

IP Masquerading is a cool hack, but it isn't perfect (yet!).

craig

--
craig sanders
networking consultant                  Available for casual or contract