Frank Barknecht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Conclusion:
> I don't have start-stop-daemon under /sbin but one in /usr/sbin/  that is not
> a.out or ELF.
> My start-stop-daemon is a perl-script, I can read its content.

That's how it was under older versions of Debian, I believe.  In
Debian-1.2.? (some early version), I noticed the perl package didn't
put in all of the links the other packages expect.  For instance,
/usr/bin/perl was missing.  Make sure that the version of perl that
the start-stop-daemon script "wants" is installed.  The first line
will be an absolute path to the perl interpreter.

So, if it "wants" /usr/bin/perl, and that's missing, you'd do
something like:
ln -s /usr/bin/perl5.00307 /usr/bin/perl

(You need to look and see what perl binary actually exists on you
system - it might be different than what I have.)

Later,
        Dale

--
| Dale E. Martin | University of Cincinnati Savant Research Laboratory |