On Thu, 21 Aug 1997 16:12:59 -0400 (EDT), Dale Scheetz wrote:

>On Thu, 21 Aug 1997, Dave Cinege wrote:
>
>> It's not about .1 R1, or Asub1, to the 2nd power of 4.
>> It's about something that is frozen, actully staying frozen.
>> If the disc says 1.3.1, I should be able crccheck the whole damn thing
>> against
the
>> master 1.3.1 dist, and have it come up clean.
>>
>> Right NOW you can't even do that,
>
>Not true! 1.3.1 is a fixed object, available as an "Official" image. It
>hasn't changed since its release, and, to the best of my knowledge, will
>not ever change.

Bruce Perens:

The next version of the system will be called "Debian 1.3.1 Revision 1".
People who make long-term products based on Debian requested that
we not change the version number of the system if we were only making a
few bug fixes. For example, X windows was rebuilt because Richard
Stallman requested that XDM display "Debian GNU/Linux" rather than just
"Debian Linux". It's worthwhile to insert that change, but not
worthwhile to make everyone think they need to upgrade their systems
because of it. Thus, we will not bump the release number to 1.3.2 for minor
changes.