William R. Ward wrote:
[snip]
> I've never seen much point in svgatextmode, personally - you can get
> 80x50 from LILO, isn't that enough?

I'm all for giving everyone as many options as practical but
SVGATextMode is one that I plan on leaving off of my system.

Quite fortunately, for me, after running Linux of several flavors for
years, I finally opted to make xdm start on boot.  Good thing, SVGA Text
Mode failed miserably (with the default configuration) but of course X
worked fine.  I even tried booting into single user before playing
around with SVGA Text Mode just to see if it was possible.  Turns out
that a serious problem with SVGA Text Mode is about as bad as a problem
with BASH (assuming BASH is your default shell of course).

Additionally, I either never could quite figure the thing out properly
but when switching to a console under SVGA Text Mode from X the last row
of pixels was lost on ALL console screens.  To me it just seemed to
quirky but will readily admit that except for 1) the potental
inconvenience of not being able to get a console at all and 2) the
quirky behaviour I experienced going to consoles from X, SVGA Text Mode
can give you some really wonderful console displays on a high resolution
monitor.

--
best,
-bill