>From the h/w compatible list, I found support for SMC EtherPower
   10/100.  Does anyone know if the newer EtherPower II 10/100 is
   supported?  If yes, what is the driver and do you hear of any trouble
   with that card?

Yes, it is supported.  You need to get the driver from
http://cesdis1.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/linux/drivers/ and compile it for
your kernel.

I have one of these cards, but I had trouble with it.  I swapped it
out for an NE2000 and I'm in the process of returning it to SMC for a
replacement, as it seemed to be defective; my machine would crash once
day or so before I removed it.  The local computer company tells me
they've had a lot of defective ones, actually.  But I still like SMC,
personally.