*- On 15 Nov, aphro wrote about "Re: Win NT does 1600x1200, why not X?
(FireGL 1000Pro)"
> On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, Brian Boonstra wrote:
>
> boonst >      X starts automatically for me on boot -- I end up in kdm (used
> to be
> boonst >xdm).  How do I get the logfile you mention?
>
> kill kdm/xdm, and load X from console.  kill -9 will get rid of kdm/xdm
> then CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACe to kill the X server and return to console.  then
> you can ..
>
> xdm >& X.log
> kdm >& X.log
> startx >& X.log

NO! Use the debian way.

xdm automatically creates a log /var/log/xdm.log.  I would assume kdm
does something similar.  If you really  want to stop xdm/kdm us the
init.d scripts to do it properly, i.e. '/etc/init.d/xdm stop'.

If the log does already exist then just past that to the list.  Recall
that many of the driver for cards are written WITHOUT the help of the
card manufacture so it is entirely possible that you may not be able to
take advantage of all the card features.  Although this is rapidly
changing, with Nvidia, Diamond and others jumping in to provide specs
or drivers.
--
Brian Servis
Mechanical Engineering              |  Never criticize anybody until you