on Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 06:11:03PM -0700, Eric G. Miller (egm2@jps.net) wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 03:10:27PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:

<...>

> >     Thanks to poor design of some PC-based mail agents, one will
> >     occasionally see the entire quoted message after the response, like
> >     this
> >      response to message
> >      > entire message
> >
> >     but this practice is strongly deprecated.
>                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>                          Hell does that mean?
>
> Webster's Ninth Collegiate Dictionary has this to say...
>
>     dep-re-cate  1. to express mild or regretful disapproval of  2.
>     DEPRECIATE
>
> I "strongly mildly dissapprove" of that quoting convention! Huh?

    $ dict deprecate
    From WordNet (r) 1.7 [wn]:

      deprecate
           v 1: express strong disapproval of; deplore
           2: belittle; "The teacher should not deprecate his student's
              efforts" [syn: {depreciate}]

Roughly a synonym for "discouraged" as used in technical contexts.
Another dictionary gives "express disaproval for" (Oxford Encyclopedic).