On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 04:44:37PM +0200, Maurits van Rees wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am playing around with Roberto Sanchez's Debian Package
> Customization HOWTO on
> http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto/?page=debcustomize.  This is
> failing for me at the first step already: pbuilder create.

Hi Maurits,

Thanks for taking the time.

> To capture the output I used the following line:
>
> sudo pbuilder create > output.std 2> output.err
>
> This results in almost as much error output as normal output, which
> isn't too comforting:
>
> $ wc -l output.*
>   626 output.err
>   760 output.std
>
> output.err:
[SNIP error output]

> The uncommented lines from /etc/pbuilderrc are:
>
> BASETGZ=/var/cache/pbuilder/base.tgz
> BUILDPLACE=/var/cache/pbuilder/build/
> MIRRORSITE=ftp://download.xs4all.nl/pub/mirror/debian/
> USEPROC=yes
> USEDEVPTS=yes
> USEDEVFS=no
> BUILDRESULT=/var/cache/pbuilder/result/
> DISTRIBUTION=sarge
> APTCACHE="/var/cache/pbuilder/aptcache/"
> APTCACHEHARDLINK="yes"
> REMOVEPACKAGES="lilo"
> HOOKDIR=""
> export DEBIAN_FRONTEND="noninteractive"
> DEBEMAIL="Maurits van Rees <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>"
> BUILDSOURCEROOTCMD="fakeroot"
> PBUILDERROOTCMD="sudo"
> DEBBUILDOPTS="-mMaurits van Rees <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>"
> APTCONFDIR="/etc/apt/"
> BUILDUSERID=1234
> DEBOOTSTRAPOPTS[0]='--variant=buildd'
>
> I tried this a while ago as well, tried some different settings, tried
> as root, tried adding ~/.pbuilderrc, tried adding "--extrapackages
> libc6 awk dselect libdb1-compat" to the command line, as pbuilder
> complained about these packages, but the output indicated that they
> were being installed even without that addition.
>
> Is there something wrong with the /dev that is being build?  I tried
> adding BINDMOUNTS="/dev" but that didn't work out.
>
> What could be wrong?  I would appreciate any help.

I am inclined to think that the comment someone else made further up in
the thread about the APTCONFDIR setting was right.  Make sure that there
is not a base.tgz alread there, remove or comment out the APTCONFDIR
variable and try it again.

Also, make sure that you are running at least pbuilder version 0.128.
When I was on IRC a few days ago, Junichi (the developer/maintainer of
pbuilder) said that it was really necessary to upgrade as there were
problems with the older versions.  Personally, I have version 0.128 and
was able to create a new pbuilder chroot just now with a configuration
that is functionally the same as yours.

-Roberto
--
Roberto C. Sanchez