> I asked because if this behavior is reproducible "system-wide" (that is,
> if almost any application renders Verdana 10pt a bit bigger than it
> should) it could be related to your screen dpi size.
>
> At least under Lenny (in Gnome desktop) the default dpi was (wrongly)
> setup at 86 dpi and I had to change it to 96 so all fonts look at their
> right size.
>
> I'm also using TrueType fonts, mostly the MS ones (Arial, Verdana,
> Tahoma, Courier New...) and now all of them renders okay in *any* program.
>
> But I'm not sure if the problem you are facing can be related to this at
> all :-?

That's interesting, although I guess that would be more likely if the
prolem was extended to all the fonts, not just one (or a few, I'm only
sure about the example I linked) -- anyway how can I set screen DPI?
Option in `device` section in xorg.conf seems to have no effect.

Thanks a lot for your replies so far