Quoting Camaleón:
> That's an important point.
>
> Are all the fonts rendering bigger than they should or just happens with
> Verdana? If only one font is rendering badly, it is also possible that
> the file is corrupted in some way.

Well, so far I found that the problem happens only with truetype fonts
and ONLY at 10pt (tried arial, verdana, tahoma, trebuchet ms) -- they
look different on the two browsers. Other font-sizes look the same.

> > -- anyway how can I set screen DPI?
> > Option in `device` section in xorg.conf seems to have no effect.
> >
> > Thanks a lot for your replies so far
>
> In Gnome, you can right-click on the desktop and select "Change desktop
> background / Fonts tab / Details"

Thanks but that seems to have no effect on the browser contents, just
changing gnome fonts.