>>> And what happens if you are on a conference room (or any other
>>> "hostile" environment) with no mousepad at all? Only you, a pristine
>>> clear surface and your hi-tech laser mouse ;-)
>
>> I don't want to advertise a particular brand (that you'll guess anyway)
>> but I bought a cordless small mouse to go with my laptop, it has a newer
>> (or re-branded ?) technology ("darkfield") and works on mirror, glass,
>> all shiny surfaces I have tried it on (except the laptop screen itself),
>> on the lap, sofa ...etc. Plus the batteries last a long time, and the
>> receiver is really tiny.
>> I used to be an "anti" cordless, because of battery consumption,
>> excessive weight or bad weight distribution due to batteries, bulky
>> receivers, poor signal range, bad Linux support. I have to say all those
>> annoyances are gone for my use cases. I now love "spaghetti-free"
>> desktops.
>
> Good. I'll have that in mind when I have to ditch my current rolling ball
> mouse... foreseen at 2020 or so :-)
This is the "bad" side of those "good old" technologies, they were build
to last forever ! I can't explain (or can explain too well :-( ) that
some computers I own are still running on their 10 years old hard
drives, when I have to change my sata's nearly every year. Your mouse
will never fail, see you 2100 for a universal pointing device hand
implant, complete with "eternal®" nano batteries charged from
body-derived magnetic and kinetic energy !

> But nowadays the majority of laser based mice lose their eficiency on
> transparent/reflective surfaces so let's wait the market evolves this
> situation a bit and more manufacturers embrace that kind of technologies.
> I don't like to be limited to choose between just two or three mice
> models made by Logitech ;-)
See how devious I am, now you are doing the advertising ;-) .

>>> Doesn't need to be re-calibrated? Never?
>> I never had to recalibrate any of my optical mouses, and some of my
>> activities require precision (photo and video editing).
>
> Good to know but how many years old is your mouse (2, 5, 10...)?
I am a heavy user and usually the buttons give up after a few years, or
the plastic/rubber casing starts looking really ugly. I admit I like it
fresh too, so none of my actively used pointing devices are older than 5
years (sitting in a box doesn't count, right ?), the two I or my wife
use the most are under two years.

>>> I can live with a corded laser/bluetrack mouse but not with a wireless
>>> one.
>>>

>> For my desktops I use exclusively "trackball/trackman" pointing devices,
>> my current is cordless, optical (the sensor "reads" the movements of the
>> ball), works on virtually any surface since it doesn't rely on it to
>> work. As a bonus it saved me from carpal canal surgery. Now I can't work
>> for a long period with anything else. The single battery lasts for a
>> really long time (over a year).
>>
>> Those devices are all Linux friendly, and work out of the box (including
>> buttons) on my Linux's (Debian, Kubuntu, Fedora).
>
> When wireless mice batteries last years for a 24-hour usage, I re-think
> my possition. For now I'll stick to my cables. I have enough for both,
> wifi and wireless technologies... both still need to be improved a lot.
So says WHO [1]...

> Greetings,

[1]
http://arstechnica.com/science/news/2011/05/who-declares-cellphones-possibly-carcinogenic.ars