Hi

On Sun, 2003-09-28 at 21:35, alex wrote:

> Is there something that prevents manufacturers from clearly stating
> that a product is fully suitable for Linux?  It's done for MS
> Windows.  Is this some kind of legal or technical issue, or is it
> some kind of 'business arrangement'?

we (HP) do this with Workstations, Business PCs and Laptops. You just
should consult the vendors website (in our case www.hp.com/linux) to
see if the system is supported (means working with Linux).
Of course this isn't valid for every vendor :(. I would also like that
to be seen at all these third-party vendors for cd-burners, tv-cards and
the like. But it's a long road to get there.

> With the universal recognition and use of Linux as an operating
> system, it seems strange that you don't see components or a whole
> computer clearly identified as fully suitable for Linux even though
> it may have MS Windows installed.

This leaves you right now (if you really wanna be sure about that) to
pre-installed systems or certified ones.

bye
mike