Hi,

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003, Roberto Sanchez wrote:

> Not to shoot the messenger, but this is what I found:
>
> http://h10018.www1.hp.com/wwsolutions/linux/products/clients/clientscert.html
>

>                       Red Hat                 SuSE
> laptops       7.3     7.2     7.1     8.0     7.3     7.2
> Armada E500                   X                       X
> Armada M700                   X                       X

And that's correct. It's absolutely out of date. We just finished
certification for newer models and this page will be updated soon (yes
these models are actual, sold models :) )

> No offense, but while I find that companies like HP, Dell, IBM, and
> other major vendors are more than happy to sell servers and workstations
> with Linux, the laptop support absolutely sucks.

You have to understand that these decisions are market driven. We're on
that way to be there, but I agree not fully there. But we're working on
that.

> Since it appears you work at HP, you may want to bring up to management
> that there are people _looking_ to spend money on laptops that won't
> until MS isn't rammed down their throats.  (I think the hardware thing,
> like winmodems and such, is at the next level).

We are well aware of that, and as I said working the issue. We've done
this with desktops already (you can order an EVO D220 or 530 with Linux
pre-installed).

> I'm sorry if I've ranted or flamed, that was not my intent.

Well I posted this and told you that I work for HP. If I would not be
willing to take other peoples opinions on this and try to explain why
things are as they are (at least at HP) I would not be on this list or
pretty quiet about the fact that I work for a certain company.

I didn't take this as a flame or offense. Honest opinions are always
welcome :).

bye
mike