At Sun, 28 Sep 2003 14:43:35 -0800,
Greg Madden wrote:

> On Sunday 28 September 2003 11:35 am, alex wrote:

[...]

> > What are the indicators that will tell us whether the
> > components are fully Linux compatible, whether they are part
> > of a ready to run Windows computer, a systemless computer, a
> > bare bones box, or one that you build from scratch?
> >
> > Is there something that prevents manufacturers from clearly
> > stating that a product is fully suitable for Linux?  It's
> > done for MS Windows.  Is this some kind of legal or technical
> > issue, or is it some kind of 'business arrangement'?

[...]

> As with most questions, ask google. There are numerous sites
> and hardware compatability lists that have been created. It is
> a good idea to check the hw compatability lists first, but also
> check out the vendors web site to see how well supported an
> item is and how easy it is to use the support.

This will only work for expensive or really dumb products like
PS/2 keyboards.  A case in point: I'm trying to google for
Linux-compatible USB modems (dialup).  The only recommendations I
could find are for the ultra-expensive USR modems.  With one or
two exceptions, I couldn't find any Linux-specific mention for
the more affordable Asian (specifically Taiwanese) branded
modems.  The one exception I can remember is for a DLink modem
that had a different model number.  I don't have the slightest
clue if the recommended model is simply a renumbered version of
the models available at our local computer shops.

> For the most part the hardware vendor is not the one providing
> the driver, Linux developers are. I would venture a vendor
> won't guarantee a product they don't produce.
>
> I have seen the penquin on a few pieces of hardware I have
> bought.

I have seen it on only one.  So I think the answer to the subject
begs the question: You'll know it works under Linux if it works.