On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 10:05:00AM -0500, Mike McGinn wrote:
> I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop with 4G of RAM and have been a 'buntu user
> since release 7.04. With each release of the new OS from Kubuntu I have been
> less and less happy with the so called "quality" and I am planning a move to
> Debian. As a Kontact user the problems reported with the new versions of that
> particular package are dictating the move to Squeeze. (I subscribe to both
> the
> kde-pim users and developers mail lists.)
>
> I have been experimenting with an installation in a virtual machine and I am
> getting ready to make the jump. I am happy with what I have experienced in my
> VM and I just want to know if there are any pitfalls I have not foreseen. My
> system is backed up every night, so I am not worried about losing anything.

Squeeze is fairly old at this point, and will be replaced shortly (a few
months, maybe?) with Wheezy.  Squeeze will still be supported for a year
after that -- or have they committed to two years now?  But my point is
that you might want to consider Wheezy.  Wheezy is currently the
"testing" distribution, but will be released as "stable" as soon as it's
ready.

If you run into any hardware compatibility issues with the stable
release, you can always look into getting a newer kernel from the
backports repository:
deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports/ squeeze-backports main

-Rob