Am Sonntag, 27. Januar 2013 schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
> On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 13:18:37 +0100, Martin Steigerwald
>
> <mar...@lichtvoll.de> wrote:
> > Sorry, hit send accidentally.
> >
> > Am Sonntag, 27. Januar 2013 schrieb Ralf Mardorf:

> >> And compared to other distros, what bugs did appear for those other
> >> distros, where you run release updates?
> >
> > I donĀ“t use other distros.
>
> But you called Debian the mother of all.
>
> However, Debian tends to completely break production environments, if you
> update. I used Debian because it was said, that I'm not forced to use
> pulseaudio, that was correct, for two days, then I updated and got
> pulseaudio as a hard dependency, without a warning, there were no
> changelogs about this issue, that did break audio completely. This wasn't
> the only issue ;).

Ralf, just short, cause I do not think I am going to want to waste any more
time on such a "which distro is best" discussion.

martin@merkaba:~> dpkg -l | grep pulseaudio
martin@merkaba:~#1>

So what?

First thing.

It might be a hard dependency for you when using GNOME, but AFAIK that has
been an *upstream* decision!

> It's not an issue for me, I know how to solve such issues, Debian is a
> good distro, but other distros aren't less good, especially for newbies
> it _might_ be saver to update other distros, since other distros include
> firmware by their distros, so there's no need to add third party
> repositories for those distros, especially rolling releases don't force
> you to install bad software that only is a hard dependency by upstream,
> but Debian does.

I do not care about *might*.

Here is has been stated boldly that Debian is *less* update friendly than
Kubuntu. And all I want is: Either proof, or frankly said: Shut up.

And with no word I said that Kubuntu is less update friendly as Debian.

Actually I did not say *anything* comparative. Even my SUSE statement where
from the past and I know that zypper developers have done a marvellous job.

> Just because it works for your needs, btw. still with a bug, doesn't mean
> that there aren't other distros that are more user friendly and safer
> especially for newbies.

> Such discussions IMO shouldn't be about which policy, distro is the best,
> who has more or less knowledge, it should be about real experiences, with
> different environments. If people don't have experiences, they should
> make clear, that they have a special environment and experiences with
> this special environment, it does work and in this case can be updated
> without an issue.

Such discussions are even off topic on this list.

> But please, don't claim Debian is the mother of updates. It isn't!

Oh, let me redig this:

"From my perception Debian is the mother of upgradeability."

This is *exactly* what I wrote.

And Ralf, frankly: I am perfectly entitled to *my* perception. Unlike others
I did not state *my perception* as a *matter of fact*.

Can we get over this now?

Thanks,