I recall an infamous "gotcha".  Happened not very long ago, actually.  It's the
one where if you upgraded in dribs and drabs--- piecemeal---as tinkerers do,
and you upgraded udev before/without doing a kernel upgrade, you were SOL, and
couldn't boot.

So yeah, read the change logs and release notes.

I concur with everyone: Start out with Wheezy.

Mark