On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 14:48:47 +0100, Martin Steigerwald <mar...@lichtvoll.de> wrote:

Am Sonntag, 27. Januar 2013 schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 13:18:37 +0100, Martin Steigerwald

<mar...@lichtvoll.de> wrote:
> Sorry, hit send accidentally.
>
> Am Sonntag, 27. Januar 2013 schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
>> On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 13:05:01 +0100, Martin Steigerwald
>>
>> <mar...@lichtvoll.de> wrote:
>> > Only thing that broke was ContentNegotiation with Apache, still want

>> > write a bug report about it, cause its easily fixable when one knows
>> > where to look.
>>
>> And compared to other distros, what bugs did appear for those other
>> distros, where you run release updates?
>
> I donĀ“t use other distros.

But you called Debian the mother of all.

However, Debian tends to completely break production environments, if you
update. I used Debian because it was said, that I'm not forced to use
pulseaudio, that was correct, for two days, then I updated and got
pulseaudio as a hard dependency, without a warning, there were no
changelogs about this issue, that did break audio completely. This wasn't
the only issue ;).

Ralf, just short, cause I do not think I am going to want to waste any more
time on such a "which distro is best" discussion.

martin@merkaba:~> dpkg -l | grep pulseaudio
martin@merkaba:~#1>

So what?

First thing.

It might be a hard dependency for you when using GNOME, but AFAIK that has
been an *upstream* decision!

That doesn't matter, Debian did break environments, when developers claimed before, it will not become a hard dependency. Other distros simply provide a gnome settings daemon without PA. So your claim simply is wrong, that Debian handles updates better than any other distro do.

It's not an issue for me, I know how to solve such issues, Debian is a
good distro, but other distros aren't less good, especially for newbies
it _might_ be saver to update other distros, since other distros include
firmware by their distros, so there's no need to add third party
repositories for those distros, especially rolling releases don't force
you to install bad software that only is a hard dependency by upstream,
but Debian does.

I do not care about *might*.

Here is has been stated boldly that Debian is *less* update friendly than
Kubuntu. And all I want is: Either proof, or frankly said: Shut up.

But for somebody else this seemingly is like that.

And with no word I said that Kubuntu is less update friendly as Debian.

Actually I did not say *anything* comparative. Even my SUSE statement where from the past and I know that zypper developers have done a marvellous job.

Just because it works for your needs, btw. still with a bug, doesn't mean
that there aren't other distros that are more user friendly and safer
especially for newbies.

Such discussions IMO shouldn't be about which policy, distro is the best, who has more or less knowledge, it should be about real experiences, with
different environments. If people don't have experiences, they should
make clear, that they have a special environment and experiences with
this special environment, it does work and in this case can be updated
without an issue.

Such discussions are even off topic on this list.

No, I disagree, this discussion is ok. The discussion about which language to use on this list is off topic ;). And the abasement that the off topic list should be a garbage can is bad and insulting me was bad, hopefully you missed this thread ;).

But please, don't claim Debian is the mother of updates. It isn't!

Oh, let me redig this:

"From my perception Debian is the mother of upgradeability."

This is *exactly* what I wrote.

And the context of your mails where about what?

And Ralf, frankly: I am perfectly entitled to *my* perception. Unlike others
I did not state *my perception* as a *matter of fact*.

Can we get over this now?

No problem. I only answered one time to this thread, it had nothing to do with the update discussion and than I only wrote 2 mails about your claims. I didn't force you to write tons of mails ;). I don't have a problem with it, don't get me wrong. It's not OT IMO.

Regards,
Ralf