Sven Joachim <svenj...@gmx.de> writes:

[...]

> Do you use plymouth?

No, nothing to do with plymouth is installed

[...]

> You could boot with the nomodeset kernel parameter, which should give
> you the vesa driver under X.  Alternatively, boot with nouveau.noaccel=1
> to disable acceleration.

Where would I put such things? When I try to edit the Grub Boot
screen, hoping to simply add it to the kernel line, pressing `e', I
see there is already a raft of stuff slammed in there.  Although I
know how to edit a kernel line, I'm not familiar with grub2... and did
not expect to see 7 or 8 lines I did not recognize there.

I tried putting nomodeset 1st and last but it was rejected by grub in
both places.