On 2013-10-28 11:38 +0100, Harry Putnam wrote:

> First, you did mean to put `nouveau.noaccel=1' on the kernel line
> right?

Yes.

> I forgot one aspect of having `nouveau.noaccel=1' on the kernel line.
>
> It fixes my goofy screen problem but it does cause bootup to go into
> maintenance mode.  Telling me to enter root passwd or press C-d.
>
> I press C-d and it finishes booting up normally.

This is rather odd and indicates that you are booting in single user
mode, perhaps by passing "init 1" or "single" as boot parameters.  The
answer should be found in /proc/cmdline.

> So it means I cannot have an unattended bootup, but that is usually
> what I do anyway so not a huge problem, but wondered if there might be
> some other way to disable acceleration that on the kernel line?

I'm not aware of any, but disabling graphics acceleration is orthogonal
to booting in single user mode.

Cheers,
       Sven