Le 31.10.2013 13:12, Tom H a écrit :
On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 11:16 AM, <berenger.mo...@neutralite.org> wrote:
Le 31.10.2013 12:12, Tom H a écrit :
On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 10:44 AM, <berenger.mo...@neutralite.org> wrote:

It seems that even suggested packages are not automatically removed (at least with aptitude), which I think was not the same as when I started
using Debian.

I just discovered this because I marked mpd as automatically installed,
and
it was kept, while I only have packages suggesting it. I then removed it
and
took a look at recommended packages not installed (to double check), and
it was definitely not here.

I wonder if there is a way to fix that, if it is managed by
aptitude/apt-get or by dpkg itself...

Check "apt-conf dump" for "Aptitude::Keep-Suggests". It's set to
"false" by default.

It seems the command is apt-config dump.

Sorry. Should've proofed my previous mail.

And there are no "Keep-Suggests" here:

$ apt-config dump|grep -i suggest
APT::Install-Suggests "0";

The default is supposed to be "false."

So it's quite strange, since this is a "new" (ok, maybe 1 month old, but I restrained myself to tinker it. I also used the stable repo, because for that computer I really wants it to be reliable) installation, and the only thing I have changed about default behavior, is the "do not automatically install recommended packages" in aptitude configuration menu.

Set 'Aptitude::Keep-Suggests "false";' in "/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/" and
check whether the behavior changes.

Just did the change:
I added a file name "/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/keep_suggests" which contains the line you gave. Nothing changes in behavior, if I make mpd automatically installed, it is not removed. In things depending on mpd, only mpc and ncmpcpp suggests it. It also says it enhances mpc. There are no installed packages which recommends or depends on mpd.

I also tried with APT::Keep-Suggests, just in case, but still no changes. Are you sure that this option exists? I can not find any documentation about it, only random threads here and there, but no real documentation. I am probably not searching the good place, so could you give me a hint about where to search? I'm really interested by such kind of options.