On 2013-10-31 13:42 +0100, berenger.mo...@neutralite.org wrote:

> Le 31.10.2013 13:12, Tom H a écrit :
>
>> Set 'Aptitude::Keep-Suggests "false";' in "/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/" and
>> check whether the behavior changes.
>
> Just did the change:
> I added a file name "/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/keep_suggests" which contains
> the line you gave. Nothing changes in behavior, if I make mpd
> automatically installed, it is not removed. In things depending on
> mpd, only mpc and ncmpcpp suggests it. It also says it enhances
> mpc. There are no installed packages which recommends or depends on
> mpd.
>
> I also tried with APT::Keep-Suggests, just in case, but still no
> changes. Are you sure that this option exists? I can not find any
> documentation about it, only random threads here and there, but no
> real documentation. I am probably not searching the good place, so
> could you give me a hint about where to search? I'm really interested
> by such kind of options.

I found the right option in the apt changelog, it's called
APT::AutoRemove::SuggestsImportant.

,----
| apt (0.8.15.3) unstable; urgency=low
| [...]
|   * apt-pkg/depcache.cc:
|     - change default of APT::AutoRemove::SuggestsImportant to true
|
|  -- Michael Vogt <m...@debian.org>  Mon, 25 Jul 2011 15:04:43 +0200
`----

So the default behavior has indeed changed in Wheezy.

And for aptitude there is this in the Debian changelog:

,----
| aptitude (0.5.9rc1-1) experimental; urgency=low
|
|   * New upstream release.
|   [...]
|     - Document that the "standard" apt options
|       Apt::AutoRemove::SuggestsImportant and
|       Apt::AutoRemove::RecommendsImportant should be used instead of
|       Aptitude::Keep-Suggests and Aptitude::Keep-Recommends.
|
|  -- Daniel Burrows <dburr...@debian.org>  Tue, 08 Sep 2009 21:23:11 -0700
`----

I can confirm that setting Aptitude::Keep-Suggests has no effect, but
setting APT::AutoRemove::SuggestsImportant does.

Cheers,
       Sven