On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 10:53 PM, Chris Bannister
<cbannis...@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 12:19:09AM +0900, Joel Rees wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 8:56 PM, Chris Bannister
>> <cbannis...@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
>> >
>> > What does a marriage counselor know about software development? You
>> > should instead ask the marriage counselor what happens if one partner
>> > confuses wants with needs.
>>
>> You're the one who decided to use marriage as a metaphor. It cuts both ways.
>
> It was you who started talking about marriage counselors.

I'd say that you opened the window to the comment, since you talked
about the difference between perceptions of needs and wants in a
marriage, and pointed out that, invariably, when there's an argument,
at least one party in the argument insists that his views of needs is
correct and the other's claims are just wants. Maybe that's not what
you intended, but anyone who has tried to help friends or family when
marriages start falling apart recognize the symptoms.

Now, I don't know what the attitude towards getting professional help
is in New Zealand. In America, when an argument about needs vs. wants
on a single topic drags on for a year or more, friends usually suggest
professional or semi-professional help. In Japan, admitting to seeking
help seems to be a source of embarrassment, and suggesting it an
insult. (But that view is changing a little bit, lately.)

I refrained from this allegory before, but I'll go ahead and use it:

When one partner decides that a new technique "needs" to be
experimented with, and the other is not sanguine to the experience, in
the US, it can be cause for criminal rape charges.

If that's too close for comfort, consider this: parents in the US who
force their ideologies on their children can be charged with criminal
abuse.

Really, the whole idea that we have some chattel relationship between
the devs and the users in debian is entirely inappropriate, just as it
is in families.

A four-four draw in the technical committees should have been a call
to open the discussion to a wider user base, not a call for one member
of the committee to make an arbitrary decision. Things are not
functioning correctly "up" there, even if we ignore the Social
Contract.

Technical issues cannot be claimed to be inherently superior to social
issues in any system that is in regular, direct use by humans,
especially when such technical claims become the basis for unilateral
action. Such claims are indication of hubris at best, and blind ego in
this case. (Compare the abusive parent or spouse.)

Now, in truth, I picked up Fedora only because I was having trouble
understanding the unwritten rules in play in openbsd. Couldn't read
the docs and come to the same conclusions as the others on the misc@
list, so I decided I needed a bit of education, and debian was
suggested. But we were using RedHat at work, so I picked up Fedora.

I dropped Fedora and came over to debian because of the systemd
business. I've seen power abuse in political processes in local
governments, and I recognized both inappropriate political processes
and abuses in play as I watched it play out.

But that was okay, because I needed to pick up debian.

And now I'm motivated to return to openbsd, which is also all to the
good. I've got an old laptop up right now, and am running through the
afterboot man page and finding myself understanding it much better
than fifteen years ago.

And the init system was one of the places in openbsd that I could
follow the examples but couldn't really understand what I was doing.
But I understand it now. I can see the reasons for things that were
not at all obvious back then. (And I find myself wondering why on
earth anyone would want to use anything so redundant and overblown as
systemd.)

I could say more, but I think it would not be constructive at this point.

--
Joel Rees

Be careful where you see conspiracy.
Look first in your own heart.