On 07/23/2015 12:59 PM, David Wright wrote:

> Yes, you missed yesterday's posting:
>
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2015/07/msg00977.html

I saw it, but perhaps I don't understand it.

From man tune2fs:

>        -i  interval-between-checks[d|m|w]
>               Adjust the maximal time between two filesystem checks.  No  suf‐
>               fix  or  d  will interpret the number interval-between-checks as
>               days, m as months, and w as weeks.  A value of zero will disable
>               the time-dependent checking.
>
>               It  is  strongly  recommended that either -c (mount-count-depen‐
>               dent) or -i (time-dependent) checking be enabled to force  peri‐
>               odic  full  e2fsck(8) checking of the filesystem.  Failure to do
>               so may lead to filesystem corruption (due to bad disks,  cables,
>               memory, or kernel bugs) going unnoticed, ultimately resulting in
>               data loss or corruption.

So I assumed setting the time interval would force a check on the next
reboot.   syslog shows check not done:

Jul 23 10:45:49 spike2 kernel: [    9.194139] EXT4-fs (sda1): warning:
checktime reached, running e2fsck is recommended

But ~$ cat /run/initramfs/fsck.log (which ran before the syslog entry)
Log of fsck -a -t ext4 /dev/sda1
Thu Jul 23 14:45:29 2015

fsck from util-linux 2.25.2
/dev/sda1: clean, 182790/7069696 files, 7971750/28261376 blocks

Thu Jul 23 14:45:30 2015

And again, from tune2fs -l /dev/sda1
Last mount time:          Thu Jul 23 10:45:36 2015
Last checked:             Mon May 12 14:08:09 2014

So the question is, how to set a time interval that actually forces a
check as suggested my man tune2fs quoted above?  Or is this a bug?

Thanks,
Ralph