On 07/23/2015 01:48 PM, Ralph Katz wrote:
On 07/23/2015 12:59 PM, David Wright wrote:

Yes, you missed yesterday's posting:

I saw it, but perhaps I don't understand it.

 From man tune2fs:

        -i  interval-between-checks[d|m|w]
               Adjust the maximal time between two filesystem checks.  No  suf‐
               fix  or  d  will interpret the number interval-between-checks as
               days, m as months, and w as weeks.  A value of zero will disable
               the time-dependent checking.

               It  is  strongly  recommended that either -c (mount-count-depen‐
               dent) or -i (time-dependent) checking be enabled to force  peri‐
               odic  full  e2fsck(8) checking of the filesystem.  Failure to do
               so may lead to filesystem corruption (due to bad disks,  cables,
               memory, or kernel bugs) going unnoticed, ultimately resulting in
               data loss or corruption.

So I assumed setting the time interval would force a check on the next
reboot.   syslog shows check not done:

Jul 23 10:45:49 spike2 kernel: [    9.194139] EXT4-fs (sda1): warning:
checktime reached, running e2fsck is recommended

But ~$ cat /run/initramfs/fsck.log (which ran before the syslog entry)
Log of fsck -a -t ext4 /dev/sda1
Thu Jul 23 14:45:29 2015

fsck from util-linux 2.25.2
/dev/sda1: clean, 182790/7069696 files, 7971750/28261376 blocks

Thu Jul 23 14:45:30 2015
----------------

And again, from tune2fs -l /dev/sda1
Last mount time:          Thu Jul 23 10:45:36 2015
Last checked:             Mon May 12 14:08:09 2014

So the question is, how to set a time interval that actually forces a
check as suggested my man tune2fs quoted above?  Or is this a bug?

Thanks,
Ralph

My sincere apologies for accidentally sending an earlier message directly to your e-mail addy. Slip of the mouse in Icedove. I would *never* do that intentionally.

I also didn't look closely enough at your initial post and see that what I thought was -1 was actually -l. Doh! I'm careful to use fonts that distinguish between the two characters, and then still don't read them correctly.

Have you tried using the "-c 1" option with tune2fs to force fsck on the ensuing restart?

Again, sorry, and regards,
Jape