Hi,

> Another interesting example is that of the open source Atom text editor:
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=747824 Atom is, as far as
> I can tell, mostly a front end to github's closed source services.

No it is a real (purely local/non-Sass) text editor which has some git
support by default.

AFAIU, the only github integration installed by default is the
open-on-github plugin (https://atom.io/packages/open-on-github) which
provides shortcuts to open github packages.

The metric plugin (https://atom.io/packages/metrics) is another
problematic default plugin: it reports some usage stats to Google
Analytics.

As they are plugins on top on the core of Atom they can be disabled at
runtime and could be removed from a Debian-packaged version.

By the way, I do find some github-frontend packages already:
cl-github-v3 (in unstable), clhigh (in experimental),
eclipse-myslin-tasks-github, gph-import, gits, git-hub, github-backup,
libnet-github-perl, libpgithub-perl, ruby-octokit.

Cheers.

--
Gabriel Corona