On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 01:45:52PM -0400, Henning Follmann wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 08:22:23PM +0300, Reco wrote:

> > > Can we be more vague? This is how conspiracy theories spawn.
> >
> > What's so vague about "you've got into some blacklist, and they require
> > some monetary compensation to whitelist you"? These things happen.
> > Said blacklist does not affect your ability to receive mail, but can
> > affect sending it.
>
> I was referring to "add your MTA for no good reason".
> That is vague and really not true.

I'll leave you to your option. Not that I agree with it.

> > > How is that to be expected? This all sounds like hear-say but
> > > did this actually happened?
> >
> > Either you filter spam, and accept a certain amount of collateral damage
> > (i.e. some legitimate mail goes into spam), or you accept anything and
> > your users are drown in spam and viri (viruses? whatever). Or you try to
> > find a reasonable in-between and accept that occasional spam letter once
> > in a while. Surely you agree that it's been this way for a long time.
> >

> Sure, I understand this.
> However as a person I depend on e-mail and I really never had any of
> these issues.

Consider yourself lucky. IMO all it takes is a single online purchase by
a single user of yours.

> I look at how these heuristic based filter work and it is easy to
> maintain a form of communication where the likelihood of blocked
> is low.
> Pretty much don't do anything marketers do.

Agreed.

> Do not use binary content.

Disagreed. Sending a binary attachment here and there is useful, so is
receiving it. A size of said attachment should not exceed a reasonable
limit of course.

> Do not use HTML

Tell it to Thunderbird users. Or that toy Android MUA (K-9 or whatever
it called). Or, that poor soul who uses outlook.com instead of e-mail.

> No links either

In this maillist they tend to do it. Occasionally.

> Avoid explicit words.

That's the can of worms that I refuse to open. The reason being the
constantly shifting definition of "explicit", and its dependency on a
current political situation.

> I could go on.

No need to. I have a single question - do you use SpamAssassin or Rspamd?

> > > Well, yes,
> > > I block random domains. But doing so is not random.
> > > I first try to contact the e-mail owner and the admin. But if they do
> > > no stop sending spam they are banned (usually forever).
> > > I also block constantcontact and mailchimp, because they are basically
> > > commercial spamming services and anyone can add anyone on any mailing
> > > list.
>
> Sorry I wasn't clear in my text.
> I absolutely understand We are talking about getting your e-mail out and
> accepted. I was basically describing the thought process of the
> receiving side, why you could be ending up being blocked. And
> how it is mainly your responsibility if you end up in trouble (not
> only as an e-mail admin, applies to life in general).
>

> > So, a Debian contributor Alice sends a private e-mail to a Debian
> > contributor Bob. Both Alice and Bob use arbitrary e-mail servers, most
> > likely beyond their control. E-mail bounces, Alice does not get any
> > meaningful diagnostics, Bob does not get a e-mail. It can happen.
> >

> It can happen, you could win the lottery :)
> Could, Would, if and but. All vague forms of arguing.

I do not know the specifics of the cases Michael mentioned. Hence the
vague guessing.

Reco