On Wed, May 26, 2021 at 11:13 AM Andrei POPESCU <andreimpope...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mi, 26 mai 21, 05:08:52, Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside wrote:
> >
> > I am planning to open a user group, with forums, place to share picture
> > and tips, video chat server (Jitsi or something alike) and more.
> >
> > So this is a call to anyone interested.
> >
> > I am not limiting to photograph using Debian but caring for people using
> > opensource software at large, with preferred operating system of Linux.
>
> What is the state of photo editing software available on Linux?
>
> My (admittedly dated) information is that while GIMP is "ok-ish", one
> still needs Adobe Photoshop (and/or Lightroom?) for anything "serious"
> (whatever that means).
>
> Of the three persons I know that are serious about photography two are
> using Windows and the other macOS.
>
> The two Windows users are technically inclined power users and have used
> Linux (or still do) for other purposes. As far as I know they didn't
> find it very useful for photography.

Hi Andrei,

Thanks for posting this tantalizing information.

Have your two Windows friends ever mentioned any specific task that was too
slow or too clumsy or otherwise too unsuitable for linux and/or gnu?

I'm very very ignorant of the field, but it seems like it would be useful
to collect a list of photography-software tasks that are currently easy or
possible in windows (or mac), and not easy or not possible in linux and/or
gnu.   These would form something like "open problems for gnu/linux
photography", and an incomplete or even very sparse list could help us get
a sense of progress if any items could be ticked off.

dan