Hi,

On 2021-05-26 9:28 p.m., Steve Litt wrote:
> Hi Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside,
>
> You might want to consider Devuan instead of Debian for your user group.
> Main technical difference is Devuan is sans-systemd. Main project
> difference is that the Debian project is full of people like deloptes
> who have nothing better to do than insult others, whereas the Devuan
> project has loads of helpful people.

I'm happy with systemd and what I don't really know about is devuan,
I've heard about a fork / fight / split when Debian went to systemd (I
think it was around Jessie - Stretch). Other than the two being runlevel
management system, I don't know the difference.

I'd rather make technological choices based on technological questions
but I'll take a look at the user groups and everything that goes around
Devuan.

I'll have to admit that it's a "no fun" situation when people act like
this. I've had to deal twice with this guy, one time he got into a
thread to say that "Gnome ain't part of the problem, Gnome is the
problem and that KDE is the same type of problem" but didn't have
anything to support his affirmation. I can argue, we can exchange
opinion but you need to have something to say, not just acting like we
all did in high school and doing telling other names.

I've used Debian for a long time and always saw it as one of the most
active community, with the most software and one of the biggest
developer base. Maybe it has change as time pass by... Possibly that all
the good work is getting hidden behind people who are so good that they
need to convince themselves by shouting how great they are.

You footnote talks about a book on troubleshooting. I've learned what we
call differential diagnostics when I was still in school (PhD / Master).
It's the technique used by doctors, mental health professional too that
allow us to get an idea of where the problem may be, each step getting
closer to the optimal cause, by using the most prominent cause and
pushing other possibility aside, one by one. Starting with the basis of
"it was going good then something change, now we have this problem" what
can it be, what can't it be, we often look at the most common cause and
rule it out at start...

If this interest you, maybe I still have some documents on the subject.

CHeers

--
Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside