On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 09:33:37AM -0400, Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside wrote:
> Hi,

[...]

> I was the stupid and dumb person who started talking about "the classic
> way" of authentication using X11.

Uh, whatever. I don't think you're stupid. I don't think *you* think
you're stupid. So I'm ignoring that :)

> I am so sorry to have had the wrong idea of telling someone that
> learning the "classic way" of authentication with X11 [...]

> Another user added that "xhost +x" can be used if there's a
> authentication problem. As one of the "things to try".

FWIW, I don't think it's "wrong". But if people use it, they should
understand the implications. The X protocol isn't the most secure
out there.

BTW: the problematic thing is called "xhost +", not "xhost +x", which
won't work...

  tomas@trotzki:~$ xhost + x
  xhost:  bad hostname "x"

...unless there's a host in your network named "x" :-)

Further, I don't think things are as bleak as Greg put them, since
by default, X doesn't listen on the network these days, but only
on a local Unix socket anyway. The attacker would have to have
access to the local machine. Security-wise there's bigger fish to
fry out there (automount, anyone?).

So I don't agree 100% with Greg, and I agree even less with the
way he put it (pointing out the issues might be more productive
than shouting), but he /has/ a point.

Cheers
 - t