On Tue, 2021-08-10 at 21:08 +0200, Leandro Noferini wrote:
> On mar, ago 10, 2021 at 02:59:37 -0400, rhkra...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Tuesday, August 10, 2021 02:06:46 PM Leandro Noferini wrote:
> > > Ok, but I need to divide some directories to avoid the
> > > fullfilling of the
> > > disk.
> > >
> > > Do you have only one filesystem in your disk?
> >
> > Is your issue / question how to put multiple partitions on the
> > disk?  Or how
> > to allow future rearrangement of partitions as user's needs change.
>
> Quite the second: I would like to know if there is a good solution to
> use a
> complete disk with different partitions to use with different file
> systems for
> different uses, knowing that I could have to change the dimensions of
> these
> partitions in the time.
>
> > In general, the answer might be LVM (which I don't use so won't
> > attempt to
> > explain how) or maybe simply how to put multiple partitions on a
> > disk?
>
> Yes I know (a little) lvm but I would like to know if there are
> different/better
> solutions.
>
> > If you answer those questions, I'm sure somebody will be able to
> > give you good
> > advice.
> >
> > (Aside: You can put multiple partitions on a disk, and they don't
> > all have to
> > be part of the standard Linux filesystem hierarchy (e.g., part of
> > /home) -- for
> > what I consider good reasons, I have multiple top level directories
> > /
> > partitions / mount points (can all be explained) with names like
> > /<user1>,
> > /<user2>, ... (vs. /home/<user1>, /home/<user2> ...)
>
> I need the standard file system hierarchy.

Heavens, why ask complexity to a simple question? 'cause we can - why
else?

 Nevertheless, you've given the answer yourself in your first mail.
LVM2 is the current solution for logical volume management and it does
what it is expected to do. Whatever file systems, partitions, logical
volumes or arbitrary stuff like raw partitions, empty spaces or spares
you want, you can put them on LVM logical volumes and wipe them off
there if you want so.

Cheers,

Tom