On Sat, Aug 14, 2021 at 06:06:50PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > Nevertheless there are rare cases only root can make changes.
>
> You mean cases where `sudo zsh -l` is not an option?

Up to now, there is exactly one case I am aware of when you'd wish
you had a root password: at boot, the root file system is deemed
too broken to mount, and you are told to fix it manually.

Of course, there are ways around that, but all of them involve having
access to another living instance of an operating system, either
a rescue system or a third system to poke around and try to get your
half-dead root file system up to speed (or you know your way around
the initramfs, which is "another living instance of an operating
system", but not one with access to your brain extension, aka search
engine).

The most convenient step at that point still is "enter your root
password and be dropped into a root shell".

Does anyone know other cases where you'd wish you had a root password?

Cheers
 - t