Hi.

On Sun, Aug 15, 2021 at 08:49:49AM +0200, to...@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 14, 2021 at 06:06:50PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > > Nevertheless there are rare cases only root can make changes.
> >
> > You mean cases where `sudo zsh -l` is not an option?
>
> Up to now, there is exactly one case I am aware of when you'd wish
> you had a root password: at boot, the root file system is deemed
> too broken to mount, and you are told to fix it manually.
>
> Of course, there are ways around that, but all of them involve having
> access to another living instance of an operating system,

Booting an existing system with init=/bin/sh does not require one to
know a root password, and allows full access nevertheless.

Of course, a console access is required, but the same can be said about
any kind of a rescue media.

> Does anyone know other cases where you'd wish you had a root password?

I can think of nothing, short of broken third-party software that
insists on executing "su -".

Reco