On Sun, Aug 15, 2021 at 08:49:49AM +0200, to...@tuxteam.de wrote:
> [trying to enter single user mode requires a root password]
>
> Of course, there are ways around that, but all of them involve having
> access to another living instance of an operating system,

Not all.  You can supply kernel parameters from the GRUB menu to get
around it.  Historically, "init=/bin/bash" used to work, but that may
not be enough these days.  I haven't tried it in a while.

> Does anyone know other cases where you'd wish you had a root password?

If the sudo package happens to break.

If you break your sudoers file by accident.  ("But who could *possibly*
screw that up?  The format is so simple that you *barely* need a PhD
in computer science to understand the documentation!")