What about creating a regularly running script to clear those out?
I've thought about that myself for the very reason of browser slowdown
but never followed through on the idea. Anacron is coming to mind
because it just suffered a glitch where the scripts silently didn't
run after a recent upgrade. That's how I know what it does to then
offer it as a suggestion. :D

Cindy :)
* runs with birdseed *