On Tue, 20 Jun 2023 17:03:24 -0400
Greg Wooledge <g...@wooledge.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 20, 2023 at 04:56:39PM -0400, pa...@quillandmouse.com
> wrote:
> > Apparently the broader dictum is "never run GUI apps as root". Why?
> > What's special about GUI apps versus those you run in a terminal?
>
> The extreme example is a web browser.  Your typical web browser
> probably has thousands of bugs in it.
>
> GUI apps are big and complicated.  Running them with elevated
> privileges is just asking for problems.

So this isn't anything specific, but a general concern for what GUI
apps may be doing behind your back, because they are so complex.

> In a sensible design, the GUI part would run as you, and it would send
> requests to a daemon that runs as root, or simply issue shell commands
> with "sudo" or something, to do the parts that need extra privs.

I infer that Synaptic, by requiring root privileges to be truly useful,
is mis-designed, since there isn't a daemon executing root level
commands in the background.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster